Opus, Birmingham, 01/07/15


















Well, its July - that came round fast! This is another restaurant I have been wanting to try for ages, Opus at Cornwall Street in Birmingham. Opus in Birmingham is a fine dining restaurant in Birmingham. Their a la carte is pretty expensive but they offer a very good value 'market menu' which is two courses for £14.00 and three courses for £16.00 - which is a very good deal and I was very excited to try it as the menu online looked delicious!

I met my best friend, Matt in Birmingham as he works there and we love going for dinner! As it was fairly early, we were the only people in the restaurant but it did get a little busier as the night went on. It is a nice, big, bright restaurant and had a lovely chilled atmosphere.

We ordered some drinks whilst we looked at the menu, the drinks were not cheap but this was expected. I had a Peach Bellini and it was £10.50! Which is a lot for a cocktail and I felt this was a bit extreme.


























We were then given some fresh bread to start with - it was still warm and was delicious! I love getting bread before a meal, especially when its still warm!

Free Range Ham Hock Terrine, Celeriac & Apple Remoulade, Summer Leaves



















It was lovely presentation, it was set out very nicely on the plate and I couldn't wait to dig in. The terrine was full of flavour, the ingredients were chopped to just the right size so it wasn't too stodgy. The celeriac and apple remoulade was lovely, it was very similar to potato salad and the celeriac wasn't too overpowering, which is good for me as I'm not a massive fan.

Fish of the Day, Herb Crushed Potatoes, Celeriac Puree, Wild Mushrooms

























Again, beautiful presentation! It looked colourful and tasty on the plate - the fish was hake, which is always good as its one of my favourites and this was cooked to perfection, it was flaky and seasoned very well. The herb crushed potatoes were crispy and flavoursome and gave the meal a nice crunch. The ceraliac puree was a yummy added touch and the celery wasn't too strong tasting, it complimented the fish very well and the wild mushrooms were cooked fantastically - a very good main meal and the perfect size.

Strawberry & Almond Frangipane Tart

























This was a very unusual dessert for me to choose, I'm not usually a huge fan of almonds or pastry desserts but I didn't fancy the other one and I wanted to be a bit more adventurous and I'm glad I did! It was delicious - the frangipane was moist and flavoured well. There was strawberry jam inside it too and fresh strawberries placed on the side with a dollop of cream - very nice dessert and I was pleasantly surprised!

Over all, a fantastic meal at Opus, the service was faultless, the food was tasty and it was incredibly good value for what we had! The portion sizes are still reasonable, the food is full of flavour and Opus has a lovely atmosphere. I would definitely return!


No comments:

Post a Comment