En Place, Birmingham 09/07/15


I had been excited about this ever since the last night I went to. En Place pop-up restaurant was back for their third time. I couldn't wait after the food was so amazing last time. It was at the same location, 6/8 Kafe in Millennium Point.
After I loved the first one I so much I told everyone about it and managed to get a table of 11 of us, my best friend, her boyfriend and family. After talking it up so much, I was expecting big things … and once again I wasn't disappointed.

The meal, as always kicks off with 'Snacks'  - these help to wet your appetite ready for all the courses. This time it was their take on a cocktail - it was liquor with a bubble in the middler and soy sauce cucumber. 

This was SO cool - a really inventive way of getting the meal started. The drink was so refreshing and when the bubble popped in your mouth all the juices came out. The cucumber was delicious, I never thought cucumber could taste so good - it was so flavoursome and went really well with the drink. A very good way to start the meal.

Egg Yolk, Black Pudding & Cauliflower


I was unsure about this one as I'm not a huge fan of black pudding or cauliflower but I was pleasantly surprised, the egg was made up of just the yolk and then cauliflower puree placed around it to make it look like an egg. The one thing I would say is I would've preferred if the egg yolk and puree were hot, as they were both served cold, but this is just a personal preference. It was still so flavoursome and the black pudding bits were actually very tasty and I was happy to discover there were also drops of marmite sauce on the plate - thats a way to make me happy, marmite! 

Salmon, Apple, Curry & Scraps

This was SO good. The salmon was raw, like salmon tar-tar but I love any raw fish so this was perfect for me, the apple was cut into little bits and complimented the salmon really well - which was unexpected. The curry sauce was placed in blobs on top and it was served warm, was slightly spicy but was delicious and went so well with the rest of the meal. The scraps were a lovely way to finish this dish off too - little bits of batter, which gave the meal a nice crunch and I thoroughly enjoyed this course.

Lamb, Peas, Sweetbreads & Scorched Lettuce

Again, I was very surprised at this dish as lamb is my least favourite meat but I really enjoyed it. Josh & Mike couldn't find any sweetbreads and therefore had to replace that for liver - which didn't go down very well with me but I just left it. The people that did eat it seemed to really enjoy it. For someone that doesn't really like lamb, this was a bit scary at first, but my god it was SO good - it was so succulent and juicy and had a lovely crispy skin on the top which was full of flavour. The peas were so sweet, delicious and tangy and the scorched lettuce helped to finish this dish off, I really enjoyed this and it was just the right size. 

PJB

The presentation of this dish was amazing. I don't like peanut butter and I should've let the lads know this before the meal, therefore. It was peanut butter parfait, biscuit, crushed nuts and jelly segments. I did try the peanut butter parfait but I didn't like it - it was too nutty for me, but all the other people on the table loved it and they even asked for seconds! The rest of this dessert was delicious, the crunchy biscuit was just like the base of a cheesecake, sweet, salty and with the perfect amount of crunch, the jelly segments were so delicious and refreshing and I really enjoyed this. - Next time I won't have any nuts! 

Our Petit Four this time was so interesting, it was like a science project, we got a bowl of 'Rice Crispies'  but they were not like ordinary breakfast cereal!

But then, Josh came out with a jug of milk and made magic happen … 





This was SO cool and yes it did crackle, snap and pop! It was coffee tasting rice crispies with milk - what a perfect snack for the morning, it combines two things in one! The coffee was very strong and I couldn't eat it all but it was very delicious and so clever - I don't know how they think of these things, but my god, they work. 

Our final Petit Four were bought out to us on a wooden chopping board and once again, no one was disappointed. 

Chocolate & Orange Mousse on Pastry
& Strawberry & Chocolate Fudge

I loved both of these, they were delicious. The chocolate and orange was perfectly blended and so smooth, whilst the fudge was sticky, delicious and full of flavour. A fantastic way to end another brilliant experience. 

Once again, Josh & Mike at En Place blew me away with their menus, flavours and skills - they are both so talented and knowledgable and most of all, love what they do. It is fantastic value for money, the food is incredible and I come away wanting more and I can't wait for the next one already! 




No comments:

Post a Comment