Number 50, Alcester, 06/03/15


A new restaurant for me this time, I went to my friends house in Feckenham and we all decided to go out and eat - they had all been here before and said how good it was so I ask excited to try it: Number 50 in Alcester. Its a very typical, English country pub and looked lovely and homely from the outside. My friend explained they do a very reasonably priced set-menu which is two courses two courses for £16.00 or three courses for £19.95 - which I felt was a very good price and they serve it 12pm-2pm and 6.30-9.30pm everyday, which is unusual for set menus as they usually stop at a certain time and don't run on weekends. It wasn't too busy, luckily as we hadn't booked and it was a Saturday night - we were shown to our table. It had lovely decor inside, very bright and airy. I was excited to sample the food!

I decided to go for the set fixed price menu, although the A La Carte menu had some delicious choices, and I would like to go back and try some other things on the menu but as one main course averaged at £14 - the set menu was 100% worth the price.

I went for Starter & Main Course as I prefer savoury to sweet. We were also given a selection of warm breads to munch on whilst looking at the starters - these came with oil and vinegar, olive tepenade and marmite butter - all three I loved and they were delicious with the warm, crusty bread.

Chicken Liver Parfait with Red Onion & Grape Chutney and Warm Toast

I couldn't believe the size of the starter for the price, it was huge!! Two big thick slices of bread, which suited me perfectly as I love lots of bread with my paté and most restaurants don't give you enough - so no complaints here! And, the parfait was lovely and smooth and had a delicious rich taste, which was calmed down with the red onion and grape chutney, helping to give the richness a sweet and tangy flavour, whilst the bread helped to give the food a slight crunch. Brilliant starter and I have no complaints at all, in fact, it was the perfect paté starter.

My main course was hard to decided as they had so many yummy sounding options.

Breast of Chicken, Garlic Crushed Potatoes and Chorizo
Again, beautiful presentation - all the colours looked so vibrant and tasty on the plate. It almost looked good enough to eat…

And, I'm so glad I did as it was delicious. The chicken was cooked to perfection, not dry at all and was juicy and fresh. The chicken was cut into slices with garlic crushed potatoes underneath, topped with chorizo and rocket. The garlic crushed potatoes were a delicious added bonus, they weren't too overpowering but helped give the dish some flavour and the chorizo gave the dish a hint of spice. Beautiful dish, every bite was yummy.

I had never eaten here before but this was a very good experience, the service was faultless - the waitress was incredibly attentive and friendly. The food matched, so tasty and flavoursome. A very good hidden gem and somewhere I would 100% go again - especially for the value of the set menu. 


No comments:

Post a Comment