The Orange Tree, 26/03/14


The Orange Tree based in Solihull is one my favourites. Paul Salisbury knows how to run Gastro pubs and all of his restaurants are very good - this one in particular. My friend took me for my birthday as a late birthday meal, which was very nice of him and I was very excited as I hadn't been in a while!

The decor inside is gorgeous, very bright and it has a white, grey and brown themed and it gets very busy - this was a weeknight and we had to book. We got there a little bit early therefore went to the bar and ordered some drinks. The barman was very friendly and they have an array of drinks - I was very disappointed they don't do cocktails though! This is the perfect venue for cocktails and I think they would do very well if they did them.

The waiter informed us our table was ready, we sat down at a lovely wooden table with a sofa full of cushions. Very cosy!














The menu here is huuuuge! They have so much choice, it isn't cheap but they do quite a few offer throughout the week: at lunch time you can get 2for1 Pizza and its available between 6-7pm. They also offer a set lunch/dinner menu but this ends at 7pm, which is very early to eat!

We decided to go for starters and mains - why not it was my birthday!

I went for the Crispy Beef Salad, with Iceberg, Mooli, Wasabi Peas, Carrots, 
Beansprouts, Cucumber and Chilli, 
with Plum and Ginger Dressing, Toasted Sesame Seeds 
£6.95


























This was delicious! They do this as a main course too for £12.95. To be fair, the starter size is big enough. Its full with crispy beef smothered in a plum and ginger dressing which was sticky, sweet and tangy. I loved it! The salad served with it was all chopped up into little segments, and the wasabi peas gave the whole dish a little kick. It's slightly spicy but for me, who hates spicy food I could handle it. It's a very tasty starter and definitely big enough - £6.95 isn't cheap for a starter, especially when its a salad but this is a very generous portion and the flavours all blend together very well - no complaints at all.

My main course isn't on the menu anymore as they have changed it to their summer menu, so I will do my best to remember it!

Medallions of Pork served with Dauphinoise Potatoes, Mushrooms, Pancetta with a Red Wine & Gravy Dressing
£14.95 


























As you can see from the photo, this is  very generous portion again - £14.95 isn't particularly cheap for a main course but I left feeling very generous and satisfied and I guess that makes up for the price! The food was very tasty too - the pork was cooked perfectly, nice and tender, not stringy or chewy. The dauphinoise were cooked to perfection too - creamy, crispy and not too rich! The crispy pancetta and mushrooms helped to liven up the meal slightly and gave the dish a smokey taste, the sauce helped blend everything together in a delicious and tasty way. I really enjoyed this meal - it was hearty, flavoursome and filling. All three of which you want from a meal. I have no real complaints. (P.S - I love the plates!)

Starters - £4-£12
Mains - £10-£25
Pizzas - £10-£12
Desserts - £4-£8
Drinks are not cheap either, a glass of wine averages at about £5-£8 but the soft drinks are the average price you expect.

Over all, I would go back to this place, especially for a special occasion as it isn't a cheap weekday type of place to go to, but the food is always consistently good, tasty and the portions are big. Paul Salisbury didn't disappoint again.

All opinions are my own, this meal was not complimentary and everything was paid for.


No comments:

Post a Comment