The Bear Inn. Berkswell 29/03/15
















The Bear Inn is a 16th Century Pub situated in Berkswell, near Coventry. Its a very pretty village and a Grade II listed building and a traditional country pub. Our American friends were over and he loves history, so we decided to take him to this pub for a Sunday lunch. It's very pretty inside, with beams everywhere and has a lovely traditional feel to it. Its the perfect location for a spot of lunch or an afternoon drink in the summer. We had a table booked as there were 10 of us, they sat us down quickly, it was a good job we did book as it was very busy!

They had a wide array of drinks from traditional ales to flavoured ciders to a variety of soft drinks. The menu is huge! It has so much choice on it including, typical pub meals, specials and a Sunday Lunch menu. During the week Monday-Thursday from 4pm they offer a 2 course set menu from £12. I didn't fancy a Sunday Roast as such and a dish on the menu caught my eye straight away!

Slow Cooked Belly Pork - Succulent Pork Belly Served with Mash Potato, Braised Red Cabbage, a Sweet Baked Apple & a Rich Red Wine Sauce

£12.49


























Off course, as soon I see Pork Belly I HAVE to order it, my favourite. However, seeing as it was Sunday I decided to mix it up slightly, I changed the mash to roast potatoes and added a Yorkshire pudding. Why not hey! The presentation was very good, I liked the patterned plate and the food looked very appetising, the colours stood out on the plate, it was also a very generous portion. The price was very reasonable and they definitely don't skimp on the portions. The taste was just as good as it looked, the roast potatoes were perfectly cooked, crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside, the belly pork was succulent, tender and juicy with a hard and crispy outer skin - I'm the belly pork expert and this one was delicious! The braised red cabbage was the perfect blend of sweet, tangy and sour and complimented the rest of the meal very well, the baked apple helped to finish this dish off, it was juicy and sweet and helped calm down the richness of the red cabbage and the red wine sauce. A very, very good meal and perfect for a Sunday Lunch Time - I have no complaints!

I was SO full but my boyfriend, Tom wanted a dessert so I agreed to 'share' one with him. Although I didn't think I could possibly eat enough bite, until the dessert came …

Salted Caramel Banoffee Cheesecake - Smooth & Creamy Baked Banana Cheesecake On A Chocolate Biscuit Base. Topped With Salted Caramel & A Toffee Flavour Buttercream. 

£5.29


























WOW! As soon as we read this on the dessert menu, we knew we had to order it! This dessert was actually inspired by the 'Proof is in the Pudding' competition by Stephanie Silk and oh my god, I can see why! What a delicious, amazing, flavoursome dessert. It was a huge portion for the price too - definitely glad we were sharing! The flavour was delicious, the banana was smooth but not over-powering, the chocolate biscuit base was moist and full of flavour, the salted caramel was the perfect blend of salt and sweet and the toffee buttercream helped to finish everything off with a sweet tang. Delicious, delicious, delicious! This dessert was perfect from the first mouthful to the last.

Overall, this was a very good pub/restaurant. Its perfect for a midweek meal or a Sunday lunch - the food is full of flavour, reasonably priced and the service was good throughout the meal. The waiter was very attentive, even though there were 10 of us, he managed very well and got the drinks and food out quickly. Very impressive. I would definitely return, I would liked to try some of the other dishes on their huge menu selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment