Home-Cooked Dinner, Cod & Smoked Haddock Fishcakes 16/12/13

Yes, another home cooked meal-I'm spoiling you all! 

This time, fishcakes. I have never made fishcakes before so I thought why not?! I decided to go for Cod & Smoked Haddock fishcakes, with a Béarnaise sauce and a Poached Egg.

 They were fairly easy to make to be fair.

Ingredients:

Fishcakes:
  • Cod
  • Smoked Haddock
  • Mashed potato
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Milk
  • Lemon
  • Bay Leaves
Béarnaise Sauce:

  • White wine vinegar
  • Water
  • Shallots
  • Pepper
  • Tarragon
  • Egg Yolk
  • Butter
  1. Firstly, I peeled and cut the potatoes into even sized chunks-put them in a saucepan with boiling water with a pinch of salt and let simmer for 10-15 minutes
  2. Then I lay the fish and bay leaves in a pan with the milk, covered with a lid and bought to the boil and let simmer for around 4-5 minutes, I then took off the heat and let it stand covered for 10 minutes to let the fish cook
  3. I then took the fish out of the pan-leaving the milk in the pan still and put the fish on a plate to cool down
  4. I then drained the potatoes, mashed them with butter, milk and added some lemon and seasoned well
  5. I then went back to the fish-flaked into little bits into the pan of mash potatoes, using my hands I then mixed the fish and potatoes together-make sure the fish doesn't break too much
  6. I then put this to one side to cool down
  7. Then, I beat the egg into a bowl, lightly floured a plate, whizzed some bread in a whizzer to make breadcrumbs and laid the breadcrumbs out on a plate. I then divided the potatoes and fish mix into cake shapes, I then dipped them in the egg first, then the flour and then the breadcrumbs-I did this with each cake and left them in the fridge to cool whilst I made the béarnaise.
Béarnaise:

  1. Firstly, put the vinegar, water, shallots, pepper and tarragon into a saucepan over a medium heat, let it simmer until you only have half a tablespoon remaining and set aside
  2. Then place the egg york and tarragon vinegar reduction into a food processor and blend together
  3. Add the melted butter into the processor until the sauce is thick and smooth
  4. Lastly, stir in the tarragon and season-voila!
Then to cook the fishcakes, add some oil into a pan-fry the fishcakes for around 2-4 minutes each side.
Whilst they were cooking I poached the eggs, warmed the Béarnaise sauce up and there we go..!


I was very proud, they were delicious and looked very good! The sauce was so yummy too and it all went very well together! 



No comments:

Post a Comment