The Royal Sun, Begbroke 27/08/13

This restaurant review is a bit further out again, our American friends were over for a couple of weeks and we had been to Blenheim Palace with them on this particular day and we were all starving when we left so I researched on my phone near by restaurants on Trip Advisor and found a reasonably priced restaurant near by in Begbroke; The Royal Sun. Therefore, we decided to test it out! 


The restaurant itself was very pretty from the outside and was very old and traditional inside with beams and real wood fires. There was 6 of us and we were lucky to get a table as they were very busy for the night shift. The waitress was very bubbly and talkative and managed to fit us in!

She took our drink order, which did take a while to get to us but she was on our own trying to serve the bar and the customers so we didn't mind too much. We looked at the menu which was VERY nice, loads of lovely choices and the special board had many good choices too. It was very hard to decide what to have. But me, my mum and our American friend, Bev decided to share a platter for starters:

Fish Platter: sweet chilli glazed salmon, king prawns, cocktail prawns, smoked salmon, salad & granary bread
£12.95
As you can see, a very big starter and definitely enough for 3 people to share. The sweet chilli glazed salmon was AMAZ|ING, it was so yummy-the glaze on it was so tasty and made the salmon taste so much better as salmon can be quite boring sometimes but this was delicious. The prawns and smoked salmon were also very good, however I think they could of thought of something different as supposed to having prawn cocktail and prawn skewers, maybe a mackerel pate or something slightly different as there were a lot of prawns! I wasn't complaining as I love prawns and they were very tasty, everything went very well together and the salad was very fresh as well as the bread! 9/10 starter-very impressed.

After A LOT of debating on what main course to have I finally decided on:
Baked Cod with Tiger Prawns: skinless, boneless loin of cod with stir fried tiger prawns in a tomato and mascarpone sauce sauce topped with mozzarella and baked in the oven. Served with new potatoes and salad.  
However I swapped the new potatoes for chips, healthy as ever ha! The presentation was average, but it was massive! The portion size was huuuuge! However it was very tasty, it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I thought it would be a piece of cod on the plater with a prawn and tomato sauce over it, however it was more like a pasta dish, the cod was emerged in with the cod and the prawns and then covered all over with the mascarpone and mozzarella. However it was very yummy indeed and the sauce was delicious, very tomatoy but not too over-powering. The chips were perfectly cooked and worked as a very good dipping magnet for the tomato sauce! 9/10 dish again, it would've been 10/10 but it wasn't what I was expecting at all and I would have preferred it the way I was expecting but it was delicious. 

Even though  I was so full, I decided to have a dessert:
Chocolate Pyramid: chocolate mousse with a biscuit base and a praline centre served with cream and chocolate sauce 
£5.75
The presentation was amazing, I loved how the sauce was patterned on the plate and the pyramid looked so good! The taste was even better! The mousse was so yummy and chocolaty and tasty, it was smooth and not bitty at all which I hate in mousses, the biscuit base was very good too and wasn't too over powering, over all a very tasty dessert but I did have to share it with my mum as it was very rich! 9/10! 

A very good meal, so glad I found it and it didn't disappoint at all, shame it's slightly too far to go on a regular basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment