If Only Every Sunday Lunch Could Be This Good! En Place, Two Cats Kitchen, 20/09/15















I love writing these reviews as En Place's pop-up restaurants always exceed my expectations and the food is outstanding. For Septembers pop-up they were doing their take on traditional Sunday lunch. I'm the unusual one, I'm not actually massively bothered by roast dinner and I certainly wouldn't have it every Sunday. But, I was very intrigued to see how Josh & Mike did it, as they have never failed to surprise me.

This time they were at a different location, Two Cats Kitchen in the Jewellery Quarter, they serve 'New Baltic' cuisine and it is certainly high up on my list of places I need to try!

Snacks
Mackerel Paté on Homemade Soda Bread with Salted Cucumber

It may not look like a lot, but oh my god this small bite was delicious, it was full of flavour. The mackerel gave the rich flavour and the salted cucumber helped calm it down and the whole snack went so well. I loved this - more please? 

Snacks
Mini Jacket Potato with Caviar, Butter, Sour Cream & Chive



When I saw this on the menu, I have to say I pre-judged and thought it sounded ridiculous. But, somehow, they managed to make it work. The jacket potato was cooked perfectly, so fluffy in the middle. The butter and sour cream helped the potato not be too dry and surprisingly, the caviar gave it a nice touch and texture. Why can't my lunch at work look like this everyday?

Fish Starter
Tempura Dab Fillets with Horseradish Snow, Pickled Cucumber and Fennel

Again, I wasn't sure how to feel about this dish when I saw it on the menu. I had never tried Dab before, I don't like Horseradish or Fennel, but I was intrigued to see how it all worked together and I was very happy. This dish was so good, a delicate flaky fish in a light tempura batter, that wasn't heavy or greasy at all. The horseradish snow was very strange but, it went very well with the tempura dab and it wasn't too spicy or overpowering and the pickled cucumber was delicious. I loved this dish, my favourite of the whole afternoon. 

Meat Main
Braised & Rolled Shin of Beef with a Roast Carrot, Swede, Onion Puree and Parsnip Puree. 
This came with a side of Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and a very different beef and ale 'tea' which was essentially, posh gravy! They bought the tea out to us first as we had to drink it before our main came, you could either use it as gravy or as a drink and I actually enjoyed it as both. It was rich and flavoursome. The roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings were cooked to perfection, the carrot was al-dente and sweet and purees were amazing, they helped bring the dish together. I don't like braised beef and I have to say, even though I enjoyed this meal, it didn't change my mind on braised beef - give me a slice of rare beef or steak any day! But, all the other components were delicious and I really enjoyed it. 

Dessert
Sticky Toffee Pudding with Honeycomb, Banana and Buttermilk Ice Cream
I was so full by this point, but, surely there is always room for dessert? Especially when its sticky toffee. This was delicious. Sweet, rich, moist and chewy and the mushy bananas helped the stodgy sponge to go down easier. The buttermilk ice cream was unusual but refreshing and the honeycomb was SO good. I could've eaten 10 lots of it! This was also a masssssive portion. 

Dessert
Puff Pastry Ice Cream, Blackberries & Pumpkin Seeds

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this, I know, what an awful blogger I am! But, I have to say I didn't like this, not because of the way they made it, because the techniques they put into it are amazing and they make amazing flavoured ice creams but, I don't like sweet pastry - so therefore, this was completely down to personal preference. The way they did it was so inventive and the blackberries and pumpkin seeds were yummy. Everyone else on the table loved this dish, it just wasn't for me.

Dessert
Salted Caramel Cream & Dark Chocolate
However, this dessert definitely made up for it. I have have two things to say about this dessert - amazing and can I have more please?

This was an amazing take on the traditional Sunday lunch and I thoroughly enjoyed every course, even though I had to be rolled out the restaurant I was so full. I loved each part, the meals were full of flavour and once again, Josh & Mike put so much effort into each dish and they blew me away. again. And, if Sunday lunch was like this every week - I would definitely be up for that tradition! 

My only bit of feedback would be - please come back and do another pop-up meal soon! I miss you guys. 






No comments:

Post a Comment