Cafe Rouge, Birmingham Brindley Place 04/04/15
















Another favourite of mine, Cafe Rouge - this time the one in Brindley Place. They had recently launched a new menu and I was excited to try it! The food is consistently good and I always enjoy it. We went on a Saturday time for a late lunch, the one in Brindley Place is a pretty location, its right by the canal and its easily accessible. The French decor inside is so pretty and I like the atmosphere.

This time the place was very busy, even though it was about 4/5pm - it was nearly full! Our waiter showed us to a table and his service throughout the visit was very good, he was attentive, friendly and helpful. I was intrigued to see this new menu as they had the old menu for quite a while and its always nice to try different things. They offer a set menu: 2 courses for £15.95 or three courses for £19.95 - this is available everyday and you get a free glass of fizz! The drinks came swiftly, and the order was taken quickly.

Champignon's A L'ail - Mushrooms In A Cepe & Garlic Cream Sauce On Grilled Rye & Caraway Bread
£4.95

This was delicious! Creamy garlicky perfectly cooked mushrooms on top of a toasted slice of Rye & Caraway Bread, which was yummy, it was a nice light bread with a subtle taste of caraway seeds. It was a lovely bread and fairly healthy - which is always good! The mushrooms were delicious and went very well with the seedy bread. A very good starter and a generous portion for the price, it was just big enough. 

For main, I went a favourite of mine that was on the menu before but its been altered slightly.

Confit De Canard  - Slow Cooked Duck Leg with Green Beans, Dauphonise Potatoes & a 
Cherry Sauce

£13.95


This was also very tasty! The presentation was lovely, it looked very simple on the plate but was attractive and colourful. I felt the portion size wasn't huge and £13.95 isn't particularly cheap for a main course, I did expect a slightly bigger portion but I was very full afterwards and felt satisfied. The duck leg was cooked perfectly, the meat was tender and succulent with a crispy outer skin, delicious. The dauphinoise were cooked perfectly too, soft, creamy potatoes with just the right amount of cream. The cherry sauce was yummy, sweet but tangy and it complimented the duck perfectly - I would of liked more sauce though, as I love my sauce! The green beans were al dente and not under or over cooked. This was a very good dish, I just think its slightly too expensive and they need to put more sauce in the jug! 

I was very full but I wanted to try one of the new desserts and as soon as I looked at the dessert menu one stood out to me straight away.

Torte Aux Chocolats Et Banana - Chocolate, Banana & Praline Cake, Salted Caramel Ice Cream & Dark Chocolate Sauce.

£5.95















Wow, wow and wow again! This dessert was so delicious! The chocolate and banana cake was deliciously moist and smooth, the chocolate wasn't too overpowering, I could taste the banana in it and it was so yummy, the perfect blend. The salted caramel ice cream was creamy, smooth and had the perfect amount of salted caramel in it, the dark chocolate sauce was hot and set the dessert off perfectly. Each component went so well together and this was one of the nicest, tastiest and calorific desserts I had ever had! It was worth every penny.

Overall, a very good meal, the service was attentive and friendly, the food was yummy, tasty, if just a little bit expensive and the dessert stole the show! I would definitely return and try other parts from the new menu.

 *This visit was paid for by me, all opinions are my own as always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment