Loch Fyne, Kenilworth 19/10/13


This Saturday afternoon mum, dad and I had been to the theatre at the Birmingham Rep and we all decided to go to Loch Fyne for a late lunch as we all love it and we have never tried the Kenilworth one. 


It was about 4.30 so we weren't expecting it to be busy but it was actually very busy, therefore it took a while for someone to show us to a table and take our drink orders-we were not too impressed by the service, it took around 10 minutes for someone to take our drinks orders and then another 10 minutes to actually get the drinks to us and this was with us asking where the drinks were, then when they arrived they bought over two glasses of wine instead of a bottle, this certainly wasn't good enough. They eventually took our food order and the service seemed to pick up a bit as it was after 5 and this is when usually more waitresses start work. We were slightly annoyed about the service but the food is always very good so we were hoping it was up to its normal standard.

I decided to go for the prix fix menu which is two courses for £10.45 or 3 courses for £12.45 which is very reasonably priced as the normal menu isn't exactly cheap. I decided to go for two courses of starter and main course.

Chicken Liver Parfait- with spiced apricot & cranberry chutney & granary bread
On the normal menu this starter is £5.95 so it isn't too expensive but you get a very reasonable sized portion. It was also delicious. I didn't go for a fish starter which surprised me but the set menu fish starters didn't appeal to me too much and I love really good parfait and this one was delicious. The parfait was so smooth, which is how parfait should be, I don't like when there are bits in it but this one was smooth and very rich. The spiced apricot and cranberry chutney was delicious, very sweet and went perfectly well with the rich parfait. Delicious starter and was very filling with the bread.

For main course I tried something I haven't tried before but it sounded interesting and I was intrigued what it would taste like. 

 Whole Grilled North Sea Dab-with lemon, parsley and watercress 
 
I ordered a side of samphire with garlic butter for an extra £3.45 with my main course as I love samphire and it goes so well with fish. The North Sea Dab looked very good when it came, I wasn't expecting to have the whole fish on the plate but the presentation was very good and I liked that the skin was crispy, I enjoy eating it then! The fish itself was very tasty-it was very similar to cod and haddock quite flaky, typical white fish taste to be honest but the only let down was it was full of bones and I had to keep picking them out, this was very fiddly and slightly awkward to eat. The samphire was delicious and went really well with the fish, its such a delicious green vibrant green stalks, similar to asparagus. Its quite salty which is why it goes very well with fish. Its a very unusual taste very I think its delicious.

Over all the whole meal with lovely and the good food made up for the bad service at the start as it was delicious and the set menu was very reasonably priced and worth every penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment