Home Cooked Salmon Fish Fingers with Pea Mash & Homemade Tartare Sauce 9/09/13


This is a slightly different post as I'm talking about a meal I cooked myself at home for mum, dad and me. I've got really into cooking and enjoy it so this particular night I decided to cook again. I found this recipe on Jamie Oliver's app on my phone and it stood out to me as I find salmon quite boring usually but I thought this might jazz up salmon a bit and it was an experiment for me as I have never made anything like this before. 


I firstly peeled some potatoes and cut them into small pieces ready to put on the boil to prepare the mash. I left the potatoes boiling for 10 or so minutes with a pinch of salt, whilst the potatoes were boiling I prepared the homemade tartare sauce.

Tartare Sauce:
I peeled the onion and added it to a food processor with some capers, gherkins and parsley. I pulsed the food processor until finely chopped. I then grated the zest of half a lemon and squeezed some of the lemon juice into the finely chopped mixture, I lastly added a spoonful of mayonnaise and whizzed again until well combined. I left that to one side in a bowl ready to use when serving.

I then sliced the salmon into thin slices about 1cm thick and laid some flour out a plate ready to use for breadcrumbs later on. I then cut the crusts of some white bread and chopped into little squared and put it all in the food processor and whizzed until breadcrumb-like, added some olive oil and left to one side, along with a beaten egg in a separate bowl. 

I then drained the potatoes in a colander and returned them to the hot pan adding some butter and milk whilst mashing, I then added the peas into the mash and put back on the low heat for a couple of minutes. I then mashed everything together so the peas were combined in well with the potatoes. I left this to one side ready to heat up before serving. 

I lastly took a piece of salmon dipped it in the flour, then the egg then the breadcrumbs and lay them in a hot pan with some oil, I left them for a couple of minutes each side until brown and crispy on both sides. I then heated up my mash and took the fish fingers out of the pan onto a sheet of kitchen roll to drain the oil from them. I then plated everything up!

It was sooo yummy, if I do say so myself. The tartare sauce was very unusual and different to normal tartare sauce but it was very yummy and went very well with the salmon and mash! Very good meal and mum and dad throughly enjoyed it, I'm going to continue to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment