Crust, Shirley 4/09/13


September is here and this is the first restaurant I visited in September; Crust after my friend, Jayne mentioned is as she always wanted to try it so a group of 6 of us went for a meal. I booked a table, which was lucky as it was SO busy. It's recently opened so therefore it's popular and after eating there I can see why. The restaurant is upstairs and there aren't many tables but it's got a very young vibe in there, it's got writing on one wall and wooden bench like tables- it reminds me of an American restaurant and the menu is very good, loads of choice and they even offer Man VS Crust challenges where if you manage to eat their particular dishes you get your picture on their wall of fame and get your meal for free. 



They offer the Mr Big burger for £18 which is a three tier burger stuffed with burgers, cheese, pulled pork, bacon and BBQ sauce or Bucket O'50 Wings for £19.95 which you can have in chilli or BBQ (must be completed in 20 minutes) or The Hot Wing Challenge, where you have to eat 6 hot wings with no water or a lastly they offer a 3 Foot Hot Dog for £14.95 which has to be eaten in 20 minutes also. I loved this section of the menu, it's very different for this country but as Man VS food is so popular on the TV I think it's a good touch to a normal menu. 

However the rest of the menu doesn't disappoint either. For starters they do 'Bits & Bobs' which are 24 mini dishes for either £2.50 or £1.50 per item. I decided to go for two items of the starters as they would be quite small.
  
Crayfish Popcorn & Calamari 
You definitely get a reasonable portion size which I was quite surprised about as they are so cheap! Both starters I chose were £2.50 so £5.00 for a whole starter is very good value. The crayfish popcorn was SO yummy-it was like KFC's popcorn chicken but it was even better. Chicken pieces lightly breaded and then fried, the calamari was also very good, lightly battered and not chewy at all which calamari can be many times but this wasn't at all and it was incredibly tasty. 10/10 starter and just enough to not fill you up too much but it filled a nice gap whilst waiting for the main course.

The main course came pretty quickly which is good and it looked SO good!

Piggie Smalls-pulled pork, BBQ sauce and slaw
£9.00
WOW, it was SO good. I asked for sweet potato fries instead of normal fries as I prefer them and I tell myself they are healthier ha! The presentation wasn't great, but it is pretty hard to make a pulled pork burger look pretty and I couldn't believe how big the portion size was for the price, £9 is such a bargain and it tasted divine. The pulled pork was cooked perfectly, really tender and melted in the mouth, mixed with the BBQ sauce and slaw made it incredibly tasty too-it went very well with the sweet potato chips and the whole meal was 10/10-no complaints at all but again I can't say too much as it is just a burger and chips but I would 100% go to this restaurant again and maybe i'll try the Man VS Crust challenges?!



No comments:

Post a Comment