Fat Lil's, Witney 28/09/13


Mum, dad and I decided to have a day out in the Costwolds as we all love it there, after a walk round the shops we were very hungry and decided to find somewhere to have a late lunch. I researched on my phone, on Trip Advisor and looked up local restaurants near by that weren't too expensive. One stood out to be straight away as it had very good reviews and I loved the name, Fat Lil's

Trip Advisor had it rated 6/74 restaurants in Witney, this is extremely good and as we weren't far away from Witney we decided to give it a try! It was on a busy street and therefore was difficult to find somewhere to park. But eventually we found somewhere, the restaurant was decorated like an American diner, with booths, candles in the middle of table made from old spirt bottles, and a bar, it gets turned into a bar in the evening and a comedy club. The toilet even had books on tattoos and pin up girls to read whilst your in there! I really liked the atmosphere in there and the waitress was so friendly and talkative and showed interest in where we were from and helped us with the menu.

The menu didn't have a lot of choice, its an American/Italian/Mexican kind of restaurant and its very reasonably priced. It took me a while to decide what to have and one particular burger stood out to me, I even asked the waitress what it was as the name 'Squeeze the Cheese' didn't give a lot away and she explained, I was still very intrigued so this is what I decided to order.

Squeeze the Cheese: incredible ring of grilled cheddar cheese on a 6oz patty with lettuce and tomato
£10.95
  This certainly isn't what I was expecting AT ALL! I was so shocked when it came, even after the waitress had explained. This is far from what I was expecting. I thought it was just a massive chunk of cheese melted on the burger. This was a piece of art,  I have never ever seen a meal quite like it before and the feeling of 'heart attack meal' did come to mind!! But I was very intrigued. They melt the cheese on the burger apparently and then place it in a large frying pan and spread the cheese around the pan using ice, letting it spread around and fry it until crispy. The cheese was actually SO tasty, it was so crispy on the bottom and the outside and actually tasted a lot better than you would probably expect. The burger itself was so yummy too, the beef was cooked so well and was very tasty. The burger comes by itself which usually would annoy me for the price you are paying but with this particular burger I definitely don't think you need any extras! But before I knew what the burger would look like I ordered a side of onion rings and even they were HUGE! They were the biggest onion rings I had ever seen but these were so nasty too, they weren't the normal batter you get on onion rings, I don't even know what they were coated in but they were incredibly tasty and not as greasy as onion rings can sometimes be. 

WOW, what an interesting meal. I was so full afterwards and it wasn't like anything I had ever tasted before but it was actually, surprisingly very tasty. I would go back again, especially for the service as our waitress was so attentive and lovely. Very reasonably priced, clean and excellent food and service.
9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment