New York 25/04/2012-2/05/2012

Me & my college class all had an opportunity to go to New York as part of our course to do some filming over there and obviously to do some shopping! But whilst we were over there I ate out a lot & had loads of food!

Hotel Diner Tick Tock 25/04/2012
The hotel we stayed in, The New Yorker Hotel had a 24/7 diner inside it where you could get a massive selection of food all day every day. I decided to go for breakfast one morning with a friend, Beth. Inside was very busy, as expected in New York! The waiter showed us to a table and we looked through the menu, there was a lot of choice just for breakfast which I found very good as I can never decide! The orange juice I ordered was very expensive for a half pint $4.25 is a lot for not a lot of orange juice! However that was cheap compared to the breakfast and the tip they expected!

I went  for the Grand Slam breakfasts which was: Pancakes or French Toast with Ham, Bacon, Sausage & a Fried Egg for $11.95
As you can see the portion size is massive for breakfast, the egg was cooked perfectly as were the bacon and sausage and the ham gave it a good touch and went really well with the ham. However the french toast was covered in maple syrup and therefore made it incredibly sweet which was hard to eat for breakfast and didn't mix well with the savoury items, I also hate sweet and savoury mixed together so I wasn't a fan of this and for $11.95 it wasn't exactly a cheap breakfast! Especially how at the end of the meal we left a $5 tip and the waiter demanded more & more and wouldn't let us leave until we had left almost $10 which was so rude and we were not impressed with that! Over all this was an average breakfast and definitely wasn't worth the price!

Pizza 26/04/2012
This particular night me, Shannon & Beth were all too tired to eat out so we decided to get a pizza and take it back to the room as we all shared a room together. Luckily there was a pizza place opposite our hotel so we went, there was a lot of options to choose from but we decided on pepperoni as its easy and we all like it, we got a side of garlic bread as well.
The pizza was a good prize for $15 so worked out as $5 each, pretty good deal for an 18 inch pizza! It was lovely and was cooked perfectly! I can't really go into too much detail as its pizza but it was yummy & extremely filling! 

Lunch on 5th Avenue 27/04/2012
We had been filming in Central Park on this day and we decided to go shopping afterwards as we right next to Broadway and 5th Avenue. This made us veryyy hungry so we decided to stop of at a sandwich shop and grab a quick cheap lunch, as cheap as 5th Avenue can be!!
This sandwich was amazing! It was in ciabatta bread with BBQ Shredded Pork inside with lettuce. It was a massive sandwich and I could only managed one half and had to take the other half with me it was that big! It was so yummy though, the pork was cooked perfectly and was so tender and worked really well with the BBQ sauce and lettuce. It wasn't very cheap about $9 for the sandwich and a packet of crisps but it was worth it because it was so lovely! The best sandwich I have EVER had!!

China Town 27/04/2012
We decided to go to China Town for dinner as a small group. It took ages to find and wasn't in the best of areas but there was hundreds of different restaurants to chose from, we really wanted a buffet but we were in a slight rush as the last subway home was 10pm so we decided on one of the restaurants near by and ate there. 
I went for the shredded pork in hoi sin sauce with noodles. What. A. Disappointment! It wasn't presented how I expected it to be and the taste was even worse, it was so rich and the noodles were over cooked and too soft! This wasn't very good at all and was definitely the worst meal I had whilst being in New York! I would give this 2/10 and everyone at the table said exactly the same, we were all very disappointed and went back to the hotel as hungry as when we left!

Steak Dinner 28/04/2012
This night we were all supposed to go to TGI's but it didn't work out as expected as the menu was very different to the English one and way more expensive. Me, Shannon & Beth didn't fancy it so we decided to go & find somewhere else to eat. I really wanted some American steak before I left so we found a little cafe in Times Square which did steak on the grill with a choice of rump, sirloin or fillet. I went for fillet as it was a lot cheaper over there as it is in England, I had a jacket potato and salad with garlic bread.
The portion size was very reasonable, wasn't too big or too small! The steak was cooked perfectly, medium rare and was so succulent and tender, the jacket potato went really well with it but could have done with more butter. the garlic bread was so yummy and crispy! The salad with it was also really yummy and I really enjoyed it with the thousand island sauce on it. Over all this was a yummy meal and the steak was beautiful! 

Little Italy, Da Nico's 29/03/2012
For starters me and a couple other students shared an Antipasti Freddi which included prosciutto, provolone, sopressata, olives and roasted peppers. This is my perfect kind of starter, every bit of it was yummy and I usually hate olives but these were actually really good. My teacher who was sharing it with me was a vegetarian so it meant more of the meat for me! My favourite bit, I throughly enjoyed this starter and was the best meal I had so far in New York!
 My main course was just as yummy! I chose the Pollo Valdostana which was boneless chicken stuffed with provolone, proscuitto and mozzarella with a mushroom sauce and a croquette potato. This was absolutely amazing! The chicken was cooked perfectly and went perfect with the mozzarella and mushrooms, the flower for decoration gave the meal that extra touch and this was definitely one of the best Italian meals I've ever ever eaten!

Airport Diner 30/04/2012
At the airport on the way back to England we decided to get some food as airplane food is vile! We found this really cool all American diner that served good food at a reasonable price. We decided on cheese & bacon potato skins for starter with sour cream & salsa dip. These were cooked amazingly and were sooo yummy, we ate them all so quickly! They were really hot as well which is always a good thing when it comes to food! The only thing I would say is the cheese probably could have been more melted but thats only a little preference. Over all a really good starter for $7.25.
For main course I had a steak and caramelised onion ciabatta sandwich with fries which was average to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed. The steak wasn't cooked medium rare it was like well done which meant it was chewy and tough which I hate in steak! The caramelised onions in it were yummy however and the chips were crispy yet soft on the inside.

Over all this was a yummy dinner to eat before the plane- anythings better than that food!! I definitely had some weird eating experiences whilst being in New York, some good and some awful but it was interesting to try all different types of food and I loved every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment