Horse & Jockey 23/01/2012

Me & two friends from work, Rachel & Faith decided to go for a cheap meal tonight for a chat and gossip! But we wanted somewhere cheap due to lack of money! I researched on the internet and found a cheap pub in Wythall, Birmingham called: The Horse & Jockey.

We went around 7pm, we drove in and you could tell from the outside it was a pretty cheap pub! The exterior wasn't brilliant. We walked inside and the interior was just the same, it looked a bit out dated with old fashioned carpets. It was actually quite quiet in there which surprised me! We choose our seats, sat down and looked over the menu. The menu did have a lot of choice which was good and they did an offer of two meal for £10 that had a choice of around 10 meals. However seeing as there was 3 of us, my 2 friends went for this offer and I decided to go for something else. They chose a chicken burger and a beef burger. It took me a while to decide what I wanted seeing as the menu was massive! But in the end I went for the Seafood Platter. We had to order at the bar, which again annoys me, I prefer waitress service however the food is such a reasonable price that you can't really complain! I just had a blackcurrant cordial with water with was only 40p, what a bargain! The service was actually quite slow which was surprising for how quiet it was in there, it took about 30 minutes for our food to arrive which is unusual at cheaper restaurants. 

 As you can by the picture, the food isn't laid out brilliantly! The chips are kind of just dumped onto the plate. However I did like the fact that it came with tartar sauce however the peas and chips could have been warmer and I felt the chips were a bit soggy! I also liked the fact that the different sorts of fish came in a little bucket separate from the rest of the food! That was a cute touch.
The fish included: breaded scampi, battered prawns and battered haddock. Prawns and haddock are two of my favourites so I really enjoyed these! The scampi was also really nice. Overall this main was average, it was editable but I wouldn't rush back! It was good for £8 because the portion was huge and I couldn't finish I would rate the food 4/10.

However we decided to have a desert because the desert menu looked very good! There was so many choices it was hard to decide which one we wanted! We decided on one of the sundaes to share between all three of us. Lucky we did share as well...
It was MASSIVE! It was vanilla ice cream, wafers, chocolate chip cookies, flakes, profiteroles, chocolate sponge, strawberry ice cream topped with caramel sauce all included in one bowl! The desert definitely made up for the average main meal, it was so yummy! Full of tasty things (hate to think how many calories this had!!) The crunchy cookies gave the soft ice cream a nice unusual touch! It was full of different textures and flavours and every mouthful had a different surprise! We actually struggled to finish this desert even with three of us there, a good bargain for £7.25 I felt!

No comments:

Post a Comment