BANK, Birmingham 30/01/2012

My friend, Jayne had been to BANK in Birmingham, Brindley Place before Christmas and had said how good it was so us and another friend, Sam decided to go before the end of January as Jayne had a £10 off voucher!

As you walk in to the restaurant you can see how modern and open plan it is. There is a separate restaurant section to the bar.
 Me & Jayne were waiting for Sam to arrive so we got a drink at the bar where they do loads of different cocktails to choose from I chose one that included, strawberry orange & vodka & it arrived in a Martini glass, it was gorgeous and you couldn't taste the vodka too much either which was good!

Sam then arrived so we sat down on a table for four which was laid out really nice and looked very sophisticated! 
 We had the table on the edge with the booth seats, the seats were very comfortable and I really liked the interior as this restaurant as the glass windows looked out onto Brindley Place. The waitress then came over to us to introduce herself and asked us if we wanted any more drinks. I just had a pineapple juice because I was driving but Jayne & Same had a large glass of Rose each. We were then given menus which were massive, a lot of choice which is always good!

The waitress then bought us over our drinks with a little wooden bowl of some freshly baked bread rolls and butter.
The bread was really crisp on the outside but soft on the inside, you could definitely tell this was fresh! I really liked having the bread at the start of the meal, its a good touch and I think all restaurants should do it! Especially as the waitress bought us two bowls.. very good!!!

After looking at the menu for a while me & Jayne decided to go for a sharing platter to start which was £15.95 which is very expensive for a starter but between two of us it wasn't too bad: 
Asian Plate for 2-goan fishcakes, spring rolls chilli squid, tempura prawns & malayan chicken skewers.
& Sam had the french onion soup which was £5.25.
Asian Plate Sharer
French Onion Soup

The Asian sharer platter was sooo nice, I had never tried the fish, Goan before so was interested to try the fishcakes, which were amazing. They had some thai spices included in them which gave them a lot of flavour and the coating was perfectly crisp! The tempura prawns are my favourite, I love prawns and especially tempura style, these were the perfect mixture of crunch and soft with the prawns cooked very well! I don't usually like squid but this squid was very good and the bed of salad it was on was so juicy and tasty, it had so many flavours running through it! The squid wasn't chewy as it usually is and was lightly breaded which gave it a nice touch! The duck spring rolls were my second favourite thing on the plate, I love duck and these were really crunchy and the filling was just perfect. The chicken malayan skewers were quite spicy (probably too spicy for me!) but they were a nice touch to a very very good starter!!
Sam said her french onion soup was very good too! Although it had a gruyere cheese toast on top which she wasn't keen on as she doesn't eat cheese.

So far so good...
The service was quite slow however our mains took about 25 minutes to arrive once our starters had been taken away, which did annoy me slightly because I like about 10 minutes between my starter and main. However when our mains did come they looked really good! All three of us went for: 8oz Fillet Steak which are served with roast tomato, mushrooms, hand cut chips and a choice of sauce. I chose the mushroom and tarragon sauce. Ive never had fillet steak before so this was a good opportunity to try it! The fillet steak was £23.50 which is expensive but fillet steak is an expensive cut of meat!
The steak came on a massive plate with mushroom, tomato, the steak, the sauce and the chips came in a separate bowl on the side. The chips were just as I like them, really thick and crispy! The sauce was so nice, I don't usually like mushrooms but this sauce was so tasty! The fillet steak was so succulent and juicy, I ordered it medium rare and it was cooked perfectly! All three of us enjoyed our steaks very much!

We then decided to have desert, this was going to be an expensive meal! Me & Jayne decided to share two deserts, Chocolate Brownies with vanilla ice cream, which was £6.50 and Malteser ice cream which was £5.50. 

The brownie was a bit of a disappointment due to the nuts in it, the chocolate was nice and the vanilla ice cream was really tasty and I really like ice vanilla ice cream when the seeds are visible and present. The Malteser ice cream was delicious, it was a rich vanilla ice cream with malteser chunks. It was lovely and a good twist on normal vanilla ice cream! The biscotti was a different alternative to a normal wafer you get in ice cream however me and Jayne wasn't a fan of this due to the fact it tasted quite nutty! 

Jayne ordered an after dinner cocktail which is a very unusual one! Which is called, Expresso Martini made with vodka, kaluha (Mexican coffee flavoured rum) and expresso. 
Jayne loved this drink however me & Sam don't like coffee so for us it was a no no! But it is a really unusual cocktail and one  I haven't heard of before! 

Overall I really enjoyed BANK but the bill was very expensive as it came to £160 for all three of us, which is very pricey! But I did throughly enjoy it and would return again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment