The Carib Grill, Moseley - 11/101/14





















Another different restaurant this time in Moseley - somewhere I don't eat out too often but its full of lovely restaurants I need to try. This time, The Carib Grill seeing as I was born in Jamaica, I thought this was as good excuse as ever to try it and my mum, dad and boyfriend Tom all love Caribbean food. It was a Saturday night and we booked a table for 7.45 - good job as it was very busy!

The atmosphere was very loud, bright and colourful. When you walk in there is a reception desk on the right where a waitress showed us to our table. It is a medium sized restaurant which has quite loud reggae music playing. The service was pretty slow I hate to say, the waitresses took a while to take our drinks order and then they took agggges to actually get to us. I ordered a rum punch as it reminds me of so many memories of being in Jamaica and I love my cocktails!


























As you can see, very colourful - it even came with an umbrella! I managed two rum punches, any more than that I would be falling off the stall as it was very strong!

But, I'm afraid to say it the service was terrible by this point. We had to remind someone 3 times to take our order after we had been sat there nearly 30 minutes!

We ordered starters and main courses - me and Tom decided to share a starter:

Combo Starter to Share - for two to share:
chicken wings, lollipops, Bajan fish cakes, savoury crab patties and crab claws 
£12.50





















The portion was pretty good - big enough and it looked nice on the plate! However, it was all VERY spicy and I know I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food and I was at a Caribbean restaurant so what did I expect? But it was spicier than I expected and I almost couldn't eat most of it. At the very top were the lollipops: chicken wings with BBQ sauce, but the sauce was SO hot I couldn't eat this certain section of the starter, following on to the right were the crab claws, these were actually very nice - they were crab rolled in breadcrumbs and then fried. Next down were the savoury crab patties - again, these were very nice. A mixture of mince and crab with peas all placed in between a pat tie - they were spicy but not too overpowering. Next down were the chicken wings, these were too spicy again and therefore I couldn't really eat them. Lastly were the Bajan fish cakes which were a blend of cod, mixed herbs and spices in a dough ball. These were ok, nothing special. I felt for the price the starter wasn't as good as I expected and the service was awful. I asked for some water half way through the starter as my mouth was burning and I didn't arrive till after we had finished and that was with me reminding them! Was not impressed.

Then, the waitress finally took our starters away and a another waitress approached us asking if we wanted to see the dessert menu - hey? We hadn't even had our mains yet .. poor.

Our mains took a while to come out to us too. It took me a while to decide what main course to have as I wanted to enjoy the meal and I was scared they would all be too spicy for me. Eventually I opted for:

Flying Fish -
found in waters of the Caribbean, this delicate flaky fish is popular in the South. This is seasoned with Carib herbs and spices and coated in seasoned flour breadcrumbs. Served with rice and peas
£12.50
























A very big portion for the price but the presentation wasn't amazing. The sauce was almost thrown onto the fish but I can let that one go. However, the taste wasn't exactly great. The fish I found quite dry and it definitely needed more sauce. The rice and peas were ok - but nothing like traditional Jamaican rice and peas! My opinion, it is very rushed food cooked quickly. I wasn't overly impressed but I was so hungry I ate most of it but I don't like I would rush back again.

With the meal costing over £110 for four of us, it wasn't cheap and the service was awful. We even had to cancel our desserts as they were taking so long to arrive. Not impressed really and I don't think I would go back. Shame - as I'm Jamaican and was really looking forward to re-living my childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment