Chung Ying Central, Birmingham, 04/09/15


It's September, I promise I'm catching up on blog posts, I still have so many to do but I'm getting there! This time was a newbie for me and one I was very excited for. Chung Ying Central didn't open that long ago and its a Chinese Dim Sum restaurant mixed with a cocktail bar. I was very excited to be invited along by the owner for a meal for two. After looking at their website and the menu, I couldn't wait! 
Their cocktail menu is very cool, they have a page of cocktails dedicated to the Chinese Zodiac, which was really interesting.

I definitely enjoyed my first cocktail, I had a Coconut Breeze which had coconut, pineapple, cranberry and banana liquor in it. It reminded me of a holiday and it was so delicious. A great way to start the evening. 

The menu is very varied, with lots of different dishes on it including starters, soups, dim sums, main dishes and rice and noodles. It was very hard to decide what to have and it took me and my bestie, Matt ages to work out what to have! But, seeing as they serve Dim Sum - it would be rude not to try some of it!

Wafer Wrapped King Prawns


Spring Rolls


Spare Ribs Peking Style
The ribs aren't part of the Dim Sum but we both love ribs and they certainly didn't disappoint. The Dim Sum dishes are all £4.00 - which is pretty reasonable. The wafer wrapped prawns were very good, thin crispy wafer filled with juicy prawns and thin cut vegetables, was so tasty. The spring rolls were also very good, the crispy outer shell was thin and had a good crunch and they were full of filling and went so well with the sweet chill sauce, which definitely had a slight kick! The peking style ribs were SO good - my favourite starter of the whole evening. They were sweet and tangy and the meat fell off the bone, perfection. I really enjoyed my starters and they made me very excited for the mains.

We decided to order two different main dishes with some rice and share them between us. 

Deep Fried Duck with Plum Sauce

King Prawns in Black Bean Sauce
Egg Fried Rice
Both dishes were very good, the portion sizes are very generous, they are not cheap ranging from £10-20 but they are worth the money. The deep fried duck was perfectly cook, tender and juicy and not fatty, the sauce it was covered in was sweet, sour and tangy, full of flavour. The king prawns with black bean was again, very good. I'm not usually a massive fan of black bean sauce but this wasn't too overpowering or strong, it was tasty and salty, a very good combination. Both dishes were very delicious and went really well with the egg fried rice - brilliant main courses and I have no complaints.

The cocktails kept coming, I got given two more delicious cocktails. 


I was so happy with my first visit to Ching Yung Central, I will definitely be returning. The service was brilliant throughout my visit, the menu is varied, the food is delicious and the cocktails are very good. It would be the perfect venue for date night or a night out with good friends. It's modern, stylish and definitely worth a trip, I promise you won't regret it! 

*This meal was complimentary thanks to the lovely Mr Wong and the Ed James Group, but as always, all opinions are my own and truthful. 





No comments:

Post a Comment