Henry Wongs, Harborne, 20/08/15


The wait was over … I was finally going to sample the food and drink at Henry Wong's in Harborne for a blogger evening. I have driven past it many times and seen so many amazing reviews but I had never been. It's rare to find very good Chinese restaurants, so when I was invited for the VIP Blogger Evening to celebrate their 30th anniversary, I couldn't wait. 
They are a Cantonese restaurant and also have a brilliant cocktail bar. We were given a glass of champagne on arrival and I decided to go for one of their cocktails, I would've liked to sample more but I was driving unfortunately.

It was a lovely bar area and I had a nice catch up with some of the other bloggers. I couldn't wait to try the food. The restaurant is very modern, it doesn't look like your standard Chinese restaurant - it has a very classy feel to it's the perfect environment to have a relaxed meal with friends or family. They have a very diverse menu but as it was a Blogger Evening the chef, Ricky had designed a menu for us, complete with wine to compliment each course. The evening was planned fantastically and the menu made my mouth water just reading it. 


Starter

Trio of Prawns (Honey Pepper, Wasabi Cream and Garlic)
This was definitely my favourite dish of the evening, I love prawns anyway and these were juicy, cooked to perfection and each flavour was so tasty. The honey pepper was my favourite, it was sweet but had a slight kick, the wasabi cream wasn't too overpowering and the garlic one was packed full of flavour. Delicious starter.

Lobster
Spare Ribs in Chilli & Garlic
Next up was the lobster and the spare ribs, both presented beautifully - I loved how the lobster looked on the plate. I love lobster anyway and this was served hot and it was tender, cooked perfectly and the tangy sauce on it was delicious, but not didn't take away the taste of the lobster. I couldn't fault this is anyway.

The ribs were also a winner in my eyes - they were tender, melted in the mouth and the dressing wasn't too spicy but had the right amount of kick.

Seabass with Sweet Chilli Sauce
Credit: Jas Sansi

This was amazing, sweet and sour is one of my favourites from the Chinese but so many get it SO wrong and put too many additives and too much food colouring in it. But this was just right, I could still taste the flaky seabass and the crispy batter stayed crispy even though it was covered in delicious sweet and sour sauce, which was so tangy and moist. 

Steak in Teriyaki Sauce
Credit: Jas Sansi

What a delight, this was probably my favourite main course of the evening. The steak was cooked to perfection, so tender and juicy. The sauce was tangy and the teriyaki flavour was really obvious. A delicious main course. Delivery of this please?

Crispy Chicken Slices 
This was strips of chicken with the skin left on, it was perfectly crispy and came with a delicious chilli sauce. I loved this, the chicken was so tender and I could've eaten the whole plate. We were also given singapore noodles and fried rice with pineapple to go with our dishes. 

Unfortunately I had to go as it was getting late so I didn't get to sample the fruit fitters, ice cream and fresh fruit. But from what I've seen on the other bloggers reviews, this looked amazing. 

I had a fantastic evening, we were given fantastic goody bags, the food was amazing, the service was very good and I would definitely return to this restaurant. I love, love, loved it!

Credit: Jas Sansi

Me with Kevin Fraser-Urquhart and Roz from The Foodie Couple.

Me with Helen from Positive Fridays and Chloe from Gastronomic Gorman.

*This meal was complimentary thanks to Henry Wong's but, as always, all opinions are my own. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment