Pizza Express, Leamington 11/12/13



A restaurant blog post from Leamington this time, mum and I had been Christmas shopping all day and were both so tired! We decided to stop for a light lunch somewhere and have a sit down and relax. The Pizza Express in Leamington is a nightmare to find as its pretty much out of the town centre but eventually we found out and by this point we were both starving. We only wanted something small though as we were having dinner at home later on that evening. 



The menu had changed slightly since I went last and they had added a few new dishes, always exciting! It was quite embarrassing though as we were the only two people in the WHOLE place and it was about 1pm, so lunch time, therefore no reason for it to be that quiet, we found this very strange. I couldn't work out what to have for ages as the starters didn't stand out to me but one of the new dishes caught my eye...

Dough Balls Doppio: a double portion of the famous dough balls, served with a trio of dips:
pesto
garlic butter
& n'duja-an Italian favourite of spicy sausage softened and olive oil
£6.75
I loved the presentation of this starter, it looked so pretty on the plate and really organised! It is supposed to be a sharing starter on the menu and it would work really well as a starter for 2 people to share but this was just enough for myself. The dough balls were cooked perfectly, they are very similar to bread but not as heavy and perfect as a quick snack. I love when they are served really hot too as they are so soft on the inside and taste really fresh. I was excited to try the dips-the best part! The pesto is the green dip at the bottom, I'm not a huge pesto fan but it was very tasty, it went very well with the dough balls too. Pesto consists of garlic, basil and pine nuts blended with olive oil and different cheeses-I love all the ingredients in it but I feel together its quite bitter, its a very strong flavour and you don't need a lot of it but its a fresh flavour and this did make me like the taste of it more. Secondly, the garlic butter-yum! This was my favourite dip, very simple but so good, there isn't much to say about it as its quite self explanatory-garlic and butter combined together! It makes a very nice change to normal butter though and it went so well with the balls, delicious. I could've had 3 tubs of this dip! Lastly, the n'duja-I had never heard of this before, but its an Italian sausage which is quite spicy, its usually made from the shoulder or belly of the pig and mixed with tripe, red peppers and mixture of spices, this was then blended with olive oil to make this dip-it was good but very spicy and I couldn't have a lot of it to be honest, I hate spicy food anyway and this was very hot. I had a few bites but couldn't eat much of it. Very good tasting dip though and people that love spicy food would love it!

Very good dish and for the price I certainly got enough! I would 100% have this again, just maybe ask for 2 garlic butters and 1 pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment