Home-cooked meal: French Onion Soup 31/10/13



Yes, I'm cooking again! This time a very wintery meal: 

French Onion Soup served with a Gruyere Cheese Crouton 




I used a Morrisons recipe for this meal from the Morrisons magazine from September

Ingredients:  
  • 60g salted butter
  • 8 onions
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme 
  • 2 tsp caster sugar
  • 600ml beef stock
  • 8 thick baguette slices 
  • 8 slices of Gruyere
Method:

1. I firstly heated the butter in a large pan and added the sliced up onions, sautéd until golden brown and seasoned

2. I then added in the thyme (I didn't have fresh thyme so used dry, if you have to use dry just make sure you use less than you would fresh as the taste is stronger.) then add in the sugar, stir in with the onions and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, lastly stir in the beef stock and keep warm

3. Lastly, grill the baguette slices until the grill for a couple of minutes each side, top with the Gruyere and place back until the grill until the cheese has melted. Pout the soup into a bowl and top with a crouton!

ENJOY!

It was so delicious, my parents loved it too and I was very impressed with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment