The Bowling Green-Lichfield 23/05/2013


Well, I had been to Alton Towers this day with a couple of friends and we had such a good day but we were all starving after so on the way back we decided to go cross country to find a pub to eat, after what felt like hours of driving and loads of different pubs-all of which weren't serving past 3pm or we didn't like the look of, we found an Ember Dining Pub in Lichfield on a roundabout; The Bowling Green. These pubs are usually cheap and cheerful and we were so hungry by this point, I don't think we even cared! 

They were doing 3 course for £9.95 which is such a bargain! All the choices were so good too, they had a lot of choices for starters, mains and desserts and it was actually hard to decide which is unusual on set menu's as sometimes they can be very limited. 

For starter I went for:
Breaded Brie with Almond Coating served with Cranberry Dip & Salad Garnish
As you can see, the starter was a fair size for a set menu! To be fair, I was expecting the brie to be in little wedges not as a whole brie but it made it a bit different and really nice! The brie was melted perfectly as sometimes these melted cheeses can still have some un-melted lumps within it but this one was melted so good and the breaded outside was perfectly crunchy and even though I don't really like nuts, the almonds actually went really well with it and didn't taste overly nutty. This was a very good starter and a fair size! Lucky I was hungry!

For main, it took me a while to decide what to have as most of the dishes sounded delish! But I decided on:
Three Cheese (Chedder, Ricotta & Red Leicester) with Pancetta Quiche served with Chips & Salad
As you see again, a pretty fair size portion. Not as big as I would like if I was buying this just as a main course on its own, and the presentation isn't great but I understand its a cheap deal and how pretty can you make quiche with chips look?! But the taste was very good! I'm not a massive fan of ricotta so was unsure but it wasn't very noticeable when mixed up with the other cheeses and the quiche was very nice! Perfect pastry with a lovely tasting filling, the cheese needed the pancetta to give it a little bit extra taste which complimented together very well! The chips could've been a lot crispier but that's just me being fussy! Over all, a very good main course especially when it's so cheap! I wouldn't pay more than £7 for this kind of meal if it was on a menu.

For desert, I knew straight away what I would have:
Millionaire Brownie served with Ice Cream
OMG- this was so sickly! Sorry this is a rubbish picture but even so, the picture wouldn't do this desert justice, it was so yummy! The brownie was soft and warm and not over cooked at all as sometimes chocolate brownies can be very dry. But this one wasn't at all, it had shortbread at the bottom of it then caramel in the middle then covered in more chocolate sauce, probably the most sickly desert I've ever had in my life but it tasted SO good-I so shouldn't of eaten all of it but I couldn't resist. Each bite was as yummy as the last! Chocolate heaven!

Over all, a very good dinner and for £10.20 for my whole meal with a drink it was a bargain and worth every penny! I would go back to an Ember Pub again, especially for that brownie!

No comments:

Post a Comment