Frankie & Benny's-Coventry 17/06/13


Another post! A lot of meals out this month. Me & my two friends, Rachel & Faith went to IKEA and on the way back we were starving so I googled and found a local Frankie & Benny's and I hadn't been in a while so we decided to go there. The lunch time menu is such a good deal, 1 course for £5.95, 2 for £8.95 or 3 courses for £9.95-so good! So as we were so hungry, we decided to have 3 courses as it's such a good price too! The service wasn't great, quite slow to get our drinks order, which was weird as it was very quiet in there but it was okay, I don't expect amazing service in restaurants like this and especially when you are paying those kind of prices.

It was so difficult to decide what to have as the set lunch menu had loads of choice! I decided for my starter:

Bruschetta:
A homemade mix of fresh tomato, red onion, basil, olive oil and cracked black pepper served over toasted garlic ciabatta bread, finished with a balsamic glaze.
This as you can see, was a big enough portion size for a set menu starter, as they sometimes can be tiny when they are in set menu's. The presentation wasn't great to be honest, but can you make bruschetta look really good?! It tasted very good however, the bread was crispy-although slightly burnt around the edges. The tomato, onion, basil and olive oil mix tasted fresh and was perfectly seasoned with pepper and the balsamic glaze gave it that extra kick, which complimented the whole starter incredibly well. Over all, an average starter 7/10 probably but for the price it was very good.

My main course, again was very difficult to chose as the burgers sounded so good but I can't have any more burgers out! I needed to loose the addiction for a day haha! So instead I went for:

BBQ & Onion Hot Dog:
Our premium bratwurst served in a toasted bun with lashings of BBQ sauce and fried red onions. Served with house fries and a pot of extra BBQ sauce on the side.
As you can see, again a reasonable sized portion for a set menu, presentation not perfect but you again hot dog and chips isn't top class food! It tasted VERY good though, the hot dog was cooked perfectly and was so yummy with the onions as they were caramelised and had BBQ sauce on them which gave a sometimes, boring hot dog a good taste which was SO yummy, they weren't stingy on the onions either which is good as I was expecting only a few bits of onion. The chips were cooked very well too, and seasoned. A VERY good meal for the price, good size and tasty. 8/10 and I ate every bit.

The dessert choices weren't great but for a set menu, you can't expect too much. It had four choices, ice cream, waffles, crumble or the dessert I went for:

Brownies & Ice Cream:
Moist chocolate brownies served warm with cream, brownies and cream ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce.
Again, another reasonable portion size and as I was quite full it was a good size. The presentation was pretty bad though I feel, they could have made it look a lot better but again, I don't expect a lot when it's on a set menu. The brownies were moist and not dry at all, as brownies can be sometimes. They were very good and they were generous with the cream and ice cream and I thought it was a nice touch to have both cream and ice cream on a dessert, as that is very unusual and they both go very well with brownies. My one criticism, and it isn't a big one-I would have preferred more chocolate sauce! But that is a personal preference as I'm a chocoholic! 

Over all, a very good meal and for just £11-ish each it was very good value for good food. Perfect for a lunch time!  



No comments:

Post a Comment