The White Horse, Balsall Common 20/04/2014




The menu has a lot of choice and all of it sounded so yummy! I only wanted something reasonably small as it was lunch time and I had work later on that evening. Their lunch and small bites menu definitely had enough choice and I knew straight away what to have!

I decided on the grazing board platter as I could share it with my dad & Ron and all the components on it sounded lovely!

Crispy Shredded Beef, Lightly Fried Prawns, Chicken Tikka Chicken, Thai Fishcakes 

Served With Sweet Chilli Sauce & Mint Yoghurt

This platter was so good! You got just enough on the platter for one or two people to share. Each part of the platter was SO yummy! The shredded beef was probably my favourite on the platter as it tasted so good, not too spicy but had a good kick and the thinly sliced vegetables worked so well with it and complimented the spiciness well. The lightly fried prawns were probably my second favourite, as they were not greasy at all and the light fried taste is a lot nicer than batter as it isn't as heavy. They had a slight flavour of chilli on them also which made them even nicer and I throughly enjoyed them, I wish they had more! The chicken tikka was average to me but I prefer food with a little more flavour and these didn't taste overly flavoursome, but they were quite a nice compliment against the rich, spiciness of the other food and the chicken almost calmed the food down and it went so well with the yoghurt. The fishcakes were my least favourite part of the whole platter as they were far tooooo spicy for me! I couldn't even taste the other flavours within the fishcakes as the spice took over and even the yoghurt didn't calm them down! 

Overall, this is an extremely tasty platter and I would definitely have it again but I would probably have extra prawns and no fishcakes! It isn't a cheap dish at £14.95 but it is certainly worth it and you don't go away hungry!

I decided to have a cheeky dessert as I wanted to be full when I went to work! The dessert menu  again, has loads of choice-all of which sounded yummy! But I had a chocolate craving so decided to go for:

Chocolate Mud Cake with Cream


Again, yes this was yummy! So chocolatey, rich and sweet! The presentation of the dish looked really professional too as chocolate cake can sometimes look a bit rushed and messy on the plate but they made this chocolate cake look pretty and well presented! It also tasted incredibly good, the sponge wasn't dry as chocolate sponges can be a lot of the time. The only criticism I would have is that it would have been nicer with some chocolate sauce or chocolate fudge inside but that is just a personal opinion. It was a 9/10 dessert and for £5.25, you definitely get a big portion and a very good dessert!

A definite 9/10 experience and I would go back again and again! Their menu has changed now as I looked online and I would like to see what the new menu tastes like!



Me & my dad had been out for the day and on the way we decided to meet up with his friend at their local meeting place, The White Horse in Balsall Common as I've only ever been for a drink there once so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to try the food. 

The inside of The White Swan is really nice, clean with a buzzy atmosphere. My dads friend, Ron had already set up a tab at the bar so I went and ordered myself a blackcurrant cordial, the man behind the bar was very friendly and helpful and got my drink quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment